Re: [News] Microsoft 'Patent Terrorists' Bypass European Law

  • Subject: Re: [News] Microsoft 'Patent Terrorists' Bypass European Law
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 12:03:46 +0000
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:Z6MqsqjgtqF2e3E4euLWwfGppkU=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> EPO chief's questions could open software patent can of worms and cause greater
> uncertainty
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Last week Marshall Phelps observed that Europe thinks it does not grant
>| software patents, but that actually it does. When the enlarged board answers
>| the president’s questions, maybe we can all have the same certainty as
>| Microsoft’s VP of IP Strategy and Policy.
> `----
>
> http://www.iam-magazine.com/blog/Detail.aspx?g=4ca6d6af-fe46-4cb4-9476-1597601cb88e
>
> Will Europe Adopt The United States Model Of Patent Protection For Computer
> Software?
>
> http://www.metrocorpcounsel.com/current.php?artType=view&artMonth=October&artYear=2008&EntryNo=3014

Certainly, the pressure to do so, is huge.

One wonders if anyone told the lawyers that software on linux is mostly
processes, and processes are not patentable...  It might make as much
sense to most legal folk as physics or maths does, or indeed, as legal
things do to an engineer like myself.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |