Re: OpenOffice.org 3.0 Already on Millions of PCs

____/ LusoTec on Sunday 26 October 2008 13:20 : \____

> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>> LusoTec wrote:
>> < snip >
>>>
>>> I did not know Macs had such a high user share in the homes. I wounder
>>> why did it not take has well in Europe.
>>
>> It is no surprise at all.
>> A laptop from apple costs about 2 to 2 1/2 times as much as a similar
>> equipped non-apple-laptop
>> The apple desktop-systems are simply overpriced junk
>> In general: European customers simple are not stupid enough as apple needs
>> them to be
>> They know very well that the prices in the states are not nearly as
>> idiotic as they are in europe
>
> Apple's pricing strategy is not competitive but why did not Apple made a
> stronger effort to compete in Europe? If Apple can have a profit in the USA
> with lower prices why can they achieve the same in Europe?
>
> Looking at the iPhone campaign we can see that Apple knows how to sell so
> why not do the same for the Mac PCs?
>
>> Add to that the bad reputation apple earned (rightfully) for treating
>> their customers as shitty as they did in several cases,
>>
>> and their microscopic marketshare in europe is no surprise at all
>> Linux has a *much* higher market share in europe than apple has
>
> I only have a significant experience in Portugal regarding market share.
> Here Macs are rare but I don't have values to give.

I recently read that, at least in Germany, over 6% of the machines come with
GNU/Linux (that's preinstalls, not installed base). Macs are still popular in
north America. Maybe places like Japan too...

Some references...

Linux Carried Along on Netbooks Wave

,----[ Quote ]
| Morvay revealed to Linux Magazine Online that there were no specific figures
| for Linux netbook sales, but that it lay somewhere in the 40th percentile.
| Even though this figure seems a little high, it is known that many of the
| world's netbooks have Linux on board since their first inception 18 months
| ago.
|
| For example, notebooks with Linux make up about 5.5% of the notebook market
| in Germany...
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/online/news/linux_carried_along_on_netbooks_wave

Linux preinstalls rocket to three per cent

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is still be shipped with 93 per cent of all PCs sold through
| distribution in the UK, according to Context.
|
| Yet Linux has nevertheless made an impressive gain.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/01/linux-preloads-rocket-per-cent

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Roughly 2% of your keyboard is O/S-specific