Re: Linux can use 8GB RAM, what's the problem with Vista ?

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 14:38:08 +1100, TomTom <tt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> ____/ TomTom on Sunday 26 October 2008 00:47 : \____

>>> What does Linux actually do with that 8GB of ram?
>>
>> Intensive database/video/rendering stuff, and not just on servers.

>Which is of no great interest or concern to the great majority of computer
>users.

>I use both Windows and Linux, with several versions of each.  I haven't
>found any limitation on the use of RAM by Windows to be a problem.

Yeah, (w/ vista) no memory limitation with windows, as long as you
don't mind allocating 2 gig of the 3 gig limit for the desktop.

The trick is to avoid running anything but trivial applications.
And to reboot daily.
And to clear out the hundreds of thousands of worthless temp files
daily so that indexing via desktop search and DRM doesn't kill the system.
And to remind yourself everytime you see a worthless gl desktop
animation that this is an serious improvement.