[News] Behind Microsoft|Horacio Gutierrez's Attack on GNU/Linux and Why He Should be Sacked

  • Subject: [News] Behind Microsoft|Horacio Gutierrez's Attack on GNU/Linux and Why He Should be Sacked
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 00:44:40 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft Makes Mockery of Interoperability

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft needs to get rid of its chief IP lawyer and its patent strategy if
| it wants further efforts at interoperability to be taken seriously by open
| source vendors and users.
|
| In at least two interviews with IT publications this week, Horacio Gutierrez
| reaffirmed that the company intends to try and force open source companies to
| sign patent licensing deals or face lawsuits.
|
| [...]
|
| The intellectual property that is trying Gutierrez's patience is not any line
| of copyrighted code, nor any trademark or trade secret. It's a bunch of
| patents that Microsoft claims it owns. In the bizarro-world that is US patent
| law, companies can get government-granted monopolies on procedures that are
| taught to programmers at high school as if they were some sort of valuable
| asset.
`----

http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/columnists/doubletake/furber081022.asp?S=Software&A=SFT&O=google

Microsoft is approaching critical bloggers again ('Microsoft doubters'):

A Business Relationship Built At The End Of A Pointy Stick Isn't Much Of A
Relationship

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week, Microsoft was kind enough to invite me to sit down, one-on-one
| with Horacio Gutierrez, the company's VP and Deputy General Counsel in charge
| of intellectual property and licensing.

Related:

A Patent Lie

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft sang a very different tune in 1991. In a memo to his
| senior executives, Bill Gates wrote, "If people had understood how
| patents would be granted when most of today's ideas were invented,
| and had taken out patents, the industry would be at a complete
| standstill today." Mr. Gates worried that "some large company will
| patent some obvious thing" and use the patent to "take as much of
| our profits as they want."
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/09/opinion/09lee.html

Sun exec accuses Microsoft of 'patent terrorism'

,----[ Quote ]
| The efforts of Microsoft to pressure the Linux community over alleged and
| unspecified patents is akin to "patent terrorism", according to a local
| executive for Sun Microsystems.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Sun-exec-accuses-Microsoft-of-patent-terrorism-/0,130061733,339280437,00.htm

Microsoft, the art of Corporate Terrorism.

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, no longer the technological leader in the Computer Desktop
| market, is taking on a terrorist role in its attempt remain in power
| at all costs. (see the link to the CNN story below)
|
| The tactic is intended to frighten current, and would be, free
| software users away from products that Microsoft just can't compete
| with. It's not a new tactic, but for the first time desperation is
| beginning to show.
`----

http://sweetcomputing.com/index.php?wiki=Microsoft_Terrorism

Convicted Monopolist Terrorizes Software Industry

,----[ Quote ]
| That headline is designed to grab your attention. Sensationalistic as
| it may be, it also happens to be true, if what you mean by 'terrorize'
| is to provoke fear.
|
| If you've been following the presidential race in the United States,
| you know the present crop of candidates have been exploiting the fear
| of the American people as they never have before in the history of
| the country.
`----

http://www.linux.org/news/opinion/ms_threats.html

Who is the world's biggest patent troll?

,----[ Quote ]
| In two consecutive days, The Wall Street Journal presented two different
| answers. The first is not surprising: Intellectual Ventures, the brainchild
| of ex-Microsoft executive Nathan Myhrvold. It's now out "to raise as much as
| $1 billion to help develop and patent inventions, many of them from
| universities in Asia."
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9816163-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Playing Microsoft Patent Poker