Re: OpenOffice.org 3.0 Already on Millions of PCs

After takin' a swig o' grog, LusoTec belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

> I have not used MS Office 2007 much but the one time I seriously used it
> (for the learning experience mostly), it was to compose the specification
> of a factory line. Lots of text (~500 pages), images (~250 images some
> large), graphics (~200 vector graphics) and tables (~40 mostly small a few
> a bit larger and one with 600 lines). I usually use Lyx for documents of
> this size but the clients wanted it in a more "friendly" format.
>
> It became clear that MS Office 2007 had scalability and stability problems.
> Page scrolling was slow, with annoying several seconds pauses. Copy & past
> large sections of text caused slow downs and some times crashes.
>
> When the document was half done the loading times where in the 10 minutes
> area and to make things worse it frequently crashed. I finished the
> document in OpenOffice and it's performance and stability was significantly
> better. This is the only significant MS Office 2007 experience.
>
> So giving your question a short to the point answer. OpenOffice advantages
> over MS Office 2007 are Stability, scalability, promoted by the public
> administration, more common than MS Office 2007.

I think you're better off creating and editing such documents in
OpenOffice and ODF format, then exporting them to DOC format when ready
to "publish".  I suspect that no one would be the wiser.  You might have
to be judicious about the font(s) chosen.

As you note, it's when you start using Microsoft "The Corruptor" Word
that the problems begin.  Of course, it helps if you have a lot of RAM,
but that doesn't help the formatting issues, Word's internal
adaptation to your printer drivers, and users incorporating some
Microsoft-only font into the document.

--
Love at first sight is one of the greatest labor-saving devices the
world has ever seen.