Re: Hey Roy, here are some patents you missed

Tim Smith wrote:

> Interesting entry on Roy's web site.  In an article title "Novell's
> Michael Meeks Gets Software Patent from the UK", Roy writes:
>
>    IT IS worth re-emphasising that while Novell purports to be an
>    advocate of open source software (not Free software), its
>    mixed-source claims take such ambition to task and Novell¹s business
>    is still overwhelmingly reliant on proprietary software. Moreover,
>    Novell is not against software patents. In fact, it¹s actively
>    obtaining quite a few.
>
>    In recent days we have been writing about Symbian¹s destruction of a
>    saner legal system in the UK. It is therefore interesting
>    to find that Novell¹s Michael Meeks, despite being based in the UK,
>    is pursuing software patents in the USPTO, for Novell¹s benefit and
>    on their very own behalf.
>
> How come, Roy, you don't ever write about Alan Cox, despite being based
> in the UK, having obtained 4 patents for Red Hat?  Here are the patent
> numbers and titles, for the curious:
>
> 7,409,555
> Electronic document active content assurance
>
> 7,260,749
> Hot plug interfaces and failure handling
>
> 7,107,314
> Mail system synchronization using multiple message identifiers
>
> 7,024,499
> Cache only queue option for cache controller
>
> Those are another 11 Red Hat patents not involving Alan Cox:
>
> 7,412,710
> System, method, and medium for efficiently obtaining the addresses of
> thread-local variables
>
> 7,409,403
> Alert management data infrastructure and configuration generator
>
> 7,406,473
> Distributed file system using disk servers, lock servers and file servers
>
> 7,404,150
> Searching desktop objects based on time comparison
>
> 7,386,673
> Method for tracking of non-resident pages
>
> 7,082,424
> Method and apparatus for atomic file look-up
>
> 6,988,142
> Method and apparatus for handling communication requests at a server
> without context switching
>
> 6,950,868
> Method of and apparatus for remote monitoring
>
> 6,944,793
> Method of remote monitoring
>
> 6,886,004
> Method and apparatus for atomic file look-up
>
> 6,754,891
> Debugger system using tracepoints for computer software
>
> So, how long until you have boycottredhat.com running?

As soon as Red Hat does the same bull shit that Microsoft did and does...
threaten with FEAR, UNCERTAINTY and DOUBT about software being patent
encumbered. Fact is, Red Hat never has...

                             From the desk of:
                             Jerome D. McBride

   07:08:06 up 25 days, 11:26,  5 users,  load average: 3.08, 2.83, 1.57