[News] Discretix Harms Linux with Criminal Technology (DRM)

Discretix to Provide Media Content Protection for ACCESS Linux Platform

,----[ Quote ]
| Discretix, the leading provider of embedded security and DRM (Digital Rights
| Management) solutions, announced today that its content security CPRM Client,
| will be made available for ACCESS Linux Platform(TM), an integrated, flexible
| and complete commercial-grade LINUX(R) platform designed for the worldwide
| mobile phone and converged device markets. ACCESS CO., LTD., a global
| provider of next-generation software for the mobile and beyond-PC markets,
| will include CPRM Client in ACCESS Linux Platform, offering mobile device
| manufacturers a proven security solution for premium content.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/discretix-provide-media-content-protection/story.aspx?guid=%7B9800DED1-CF0F-46EF-8B6A-E76921A8D0C3%7D&dist=hppr

Recent:

25 Arguments for the Elimination of Copy Protection

,----[ Quote ]
| Can I begin with a few disclaimers? I believe that people who create things
| deserve to be rewarded for their efforts. Which means that I think that
| stealing entertainment and software is wrong. Actually, come to think of it,
| if there was a form of copy protection that was never a hassle for paying
| customers but which effectively prevented piracy, I might enthusiastically
| support it. (Go ahead, mock me if you must–I’ll wait.)
`----

http://technologizer.com/2008/10/13/copy-protection/

No need to burn books you can't read - DRM and public libraries

,----[ Quote ]
| As my correspondent says: "After all that I still couldn't open the document
| (which I've only opened once before) and got this. Now I know I haven't
| opened the document at another computer because this is my only computer with
| a printer - so I didn't open it anywhere else. I am never using this service
| again. The British Library, Microsoft and Adobe can go shove their DRM up
| their document delivery service exit. "
|
| This, let me reiterate, is a public body providing publicly paid-for research
| to a highly-qualified professional engaged in impeccable work for the public
| service.
|
| It is hard to imagine something more expensive, condescending, inaccurate,
| frustrating and enraging – nor something better calculated to restrict
| knowledge and broadcast ignorance.
|
| It's almost as if the parties involved actively want to prevent people
| learning. It certainly feels that way.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10009526o-2000331777b,00.htm

Wal-Mart Drops DRM Servers, Customers Lose Music

,----[ Quote ]
| To those of you who were loyal early adopters of Wal-Mart's music download
| service, Wal-Mart has a message for you: Say goodbye to your music. Since
| February Wal-Mart has offered only DRM-free songs for download, but before
| that customers of Wal-Mart's service could download songs encoded with DRM.
| BoingBoing picked up an e-mail Wal-Mart sent to its customers saying the DRM
| servers will be shut down on October 9, making it impossible for customers to
| transfer their DRM encoded music to a music device or another PC after that
| date.
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007820.html

7digital goes completely DRM free

,----[ Quote ]
| ONLINE MUSIC RETAILER 7digital.com has gone completely DRM free following a
| deal with Sony BMG which allows the sale of its catalogue in blissfully open
| MP3 format.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/09/16/7digital-goes-completely-drm

Rhapsody Opens Fire Against ITunes With DRM-free MP3s

,----[ Quote ]
| Music will come from most of the major record labels, which have increasingly
| moved to offer tracks without DRM in order to boost the attractiveness of
| buying music online.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/147729/rhapsody_opens_fire_against_itunes_with_drmfree_mp3s.html
http://tinyurl.com/56r4rn

Torvalds pleased that DRM music is dying

,----[ Quote ]
| Linus Torvalds, coordinator of the Linux kernel, is pleased that music
| publishers have started selling more DRM-free music -- last year he said the
| technology was a lot of "hot air".
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Torvalds-pleased-that-DRM-music-is-dying/0,130061733,339285934,00.htm?feed=rss

Adobe, You Piece Of Shit!

,----[ Quote ]
| How was I able to read the book with Adobe Digital Reader version 1.0, but
| not with 1.5? I could not "authorize" my computer to read the book I paid
| for, so Adobe simply stole from me!
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2008/05/17/20/29/23-adobe-you-piece-of-shit-

DRM Helps Spore Make History as The Most Pirated Game Ever

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/drm_is_helping_spore_make_history_as_the_most_pirated_game_ever.php

Rhapsody Opens Fire Against ITunes With DRM-free MP3s

,----[ Quote ]
| Music will come from most of the major record labels, which have increasingly
| moved to offer tracks without DRM in order to boost the attractiveness of
| buying music online.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/147729/rhapsody_opens_fire_against_itunes_with_drmfree_mp3s.html

EA in Spore DRM climbdown

,----[ Quote ]
| Critics claim DRM limiting those who bought the hotly anticipated sim to only
| three installs amounts to no more than renting the software out, rather than
| selling it. DRM also prevented players from creating more than one user
| account per copy of Spore — even though the game's literature specifically
| states otherwise.
|
| As what is now a matter of routine with modern PC games, pirates managed to
| crack the game's DRM restrictions within a day of the game's release and
| hosted this de-restricted content on certain nefarious file-sharing websites.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/22/public_knowledge_fights_copyright_enforcement_bill/

Did 'Spore' copy protections backfire on EA?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-10041188-52.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

DRM Helps Spore Make History as The Most Pirated Game Ever

,----[ Quote ]
| Spore, a Sim-like game about the evolution of creatures, was recently
| released as one of the most anticipated games of the year. Our initial
| impressions were high with the release of SporeCreator. However, Spore itself
| failed to meet our expectations. In the end, we found the game to be too
| simple for our tastes.
`----

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/drm_is_helping_spore_make_history_as_the_most_pirated_game_ever.php

What EA's botched Spore launch could learn from Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| If there is one thing that open source has taught us it's that there
| are "users" and there are "customers". Odds are that all of your customers
| will be users first, taking your software for a test drive and then deciding
| if they want to pay for it. It's all about getting people to consume your
| software.
|
| The video game industry remains one of the last hold-outs in the war against
| consumption. Instead of encouraging more use, EA royally botched the launch
| of Spore with a seriously misguided DRM choice.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-10041210-62.html

EA to PC Gamers: “Install 3 times? Buy another copy”

| This can be triggered via using up your 3 activations and each time you
| change a piece of hardware, reformat your computer or install/upgrade a new
| operating system, it takes up one of the activations.
`----

http://www.simprograms.com/?p=692

Mass Effect DRM goes too far

,----[ Quote ]
| PC GAMERS WHO have had their fill of online activation headaches with Windows
| will be pretty miffed to hear the latest anti-piracy scheme being dreamed up
| by top games publishers.
|
| In a post on Bioware's forums, producer Derek French has confirmed that two
| of the biggest PC titles of the year - Will Wright's Spore and the Xbox 360
| conversion of Mass Effect - will require ongoing, rolling 10-day activation
| over the internet.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/05/07/mass-effect-wins-award-worst-pc

Related:

Vista DRM to slow down high-end graphics? [update 1]

,----[ Quote ]
| We've posted before on how the Vista brand will change the PC gaming
| market. But how will the OS affect the gameplay experience itself?
| An in-depth analysis of the operating system's draconian digital
| rights management features suggests gamers might not be too happy
| with some of the system's unintended performance effects.
`----

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/25/vista-drm-to-slows-down-high-end-graphics/

A Linux User's Perspective on the ITunes Store (and DRM in General)

,----[ Quote ]
| What if tomorrow you went to Best Buy or Walmart or Sam Goody and purchased a
| CD? What if, before you left the store, the salesman told you that although
| the CD was in all other respects a standard CD, that you could only play it
| if you owned a Pioneer or Sony stereo? Would that make any sense? Would it
| make you a bit hesitant about buying music from that store again?
|
| Well, if you purchase music or videos from the iTunes Store,
|
| [...]
|
| With content from the iTunes Store, however, users may find themselves a bit
| stuck if they ever want to make the switch to a more open computing platform,
| such as Linux. Because none of the DRM-restricted content from the iTunes
| Store will play on Linux. And it's all because that's how Apple wants it, to
| be honest, and not because of any technical limitation.
`----

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/324936/a_linux_users_perspective_on_the_itunes.html

Apple's latest trick to enforce digital rights

`----

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/07/06/09/10131156.html