[News] [Rival] Microsoft Windows Top Applications Are Illness Related

Anti-virus dominates PC application sales chart

,----[ Quote ]
| According to research group NPD, this month's list of top 10 PC software
| applications contains 3 video games, 1 productivity tool and 6
| anti-virus/security tools. It's amazing that Microsoft has created more of a
| market for applications that fix the problems Windows causes than it has for
| entertainment or business.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-10069658-62.html

He then gives a list. Windows continues to be {Cancer on the Internet}^TM.

Recent:

Bots rule in cyberspace

,----[ Quote ]
| USA TODAY REPORTS that on an average day, 40 per cent of the 800 million
| computers connected to the Internet are bots used to send out spam, viruses
| and to mine for sensitive personal data.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/17/bots-rule-cyberspace

Trend, Sophos and McAfee flunk Vista SP1 anti-virus tests

,----[ Quote ]
| Top tier anti-virus vendors including McAfee, Trend Micro, and Sophos all
| failed to secure Windows Vista SP1 in recent independent tests.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/03/vista_sp1_av_tests/

Botnets Running Rampant

,----[ Quote ]
| How much money is being stolen by cybercriminals? No one knows, and no one
| even knows how to go about coming up with that number, IronPort's Peterson
| said.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144489/botnets_running_rampant.html

Malware, Spam, and other Net Pests Rev Up

,----[ Quote ]
| The number of malware detections has grown by almost half a million since the
| end of the year, jumping from 500,000 total detections to 900,000.
|
| "I have a nasty feeling that the situation is getting worse, not better",
| says Mikko Hypponen, chief research officer for the security vendor.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/147701/malware_spam_and_other_net_pests_rev_up.html

New Massive Botnet Twice the Size of Storm

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=150292&WT.svl=news1_1