Re: Toys R' Us Selling GNU/Linux PCs, Advertising Them in UK Newspapers

Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 22:41:49 -0500, RonB wrote:
>
>> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
>>
>>> They chose it because it had a superior BASE with which to work with,.
>>> Unlike Linux which is fragmented all over the place.
>>
>> Yeah, right. And you know this... how, exactly?
>
> A very reliable source told me so.

Certainly. The same source Hadron has, I assume...

>> One minute you talk about how good Linux is -- "except on the Desktop."
>> The next you talk about how the Linux "BASE" is no good.
>
> And exactly what do you think Apple was looking for?
> A desktop system.

Could you /try/ to be right just once?
They did not look for a desktop system.
They took the Mach kernel, changed it beyond recognition to achieve /some/
speed, added the (again heavily changed) BSD userland and put their own GUI
on top of it

>> You're full of crap.
>
> So why didn't Apple choose Linux?
> Answer: Linux sucked, at the time.

No. They could not use it in the way they abused BSD

--
Windows was created to keep stupid people away from UNIX."
  -- Tom Christiansen