[News] [Rival] Microsoft Tries to Addict People Under Guise of "Charity", "War on Piracy"

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Tries to Addict People Under Guise of "Charity", "War on Piracy"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 16:20:03 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft's new Windows XP anti-piracy measure aimed at boosting Vista usage -
analyst

,----[ Quote ]
| A new campaign announced by Microsoft China on Oct. 16 to combat piracy of
| its Windows XP operating system has been met with fury by Chinese software
| users, and according to one analyst, is more about forcing people to upgrade
| to Windows Vista.
`----

http://www.interfax.cn/news/6207/

South Africa: FET Colleges Accredited By Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| FIFTY colleges of Further Education and Training (FET) will become accredited
| Microsoft Information Technology (IT) Academies so that students can receive
| internationally accredited training and certifications in addition to local
| qualifications.
|
| The agreement to introduce the training in all of SA's FETs was signed last
| week by Microsoft and the communications department's Meraka e-Skills
| Institute. The aim is to give students some skills that will increase their
| immediate chance of employment and to give them a foundation to pursue
| further studies in the field. The curriculum will be designed to give
| students the chance to experience real-world challenges in the classroom,
| with courses due to start next year.
`----

http://allafrica.com/stories/200810150083.html

Predatory pricing is a crime. Microsoft should be aware of this.

Related:

Linux helps raise funds for a million soccer balls

,----[ Quote ]
| "We recently used the Linux desktop multiplier to deploy 2 205 Linux
| desktops in 105 South African schools," said Hodgson, who described
| the multiplier strategy as a "more affordable and
| environmentally-friendly desktop alternative for South African schools".
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1611

Nepad e-Schools kicks off in SA

,----[ Quote ]
| Maripe is one of six schools in SA in which computer labs and
| audio-visual centres will be installed as part of the demo project,
| which includes 18 African countries. The initiative was launched in
| March 2003 and aims to see the digitisation of all of the estimated
| 600 000 schools in Africa by 2013.
|
| [...]
|
| The computers have been equipped with a Linux operating system,
| e-mail client, browser and office productivity suite, and
| educational software that assists in the learning process, as
| well as the administration and maintenance of the school.
`----

http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/business/2007/0704181037.asp?A=BUS&S=Business&T=News&O=ST
http://tinyurl.com/2n8pa8

Tapping a world of schoolroom innovation

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pbn.com/stories/24545.html