Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

Mark Kent wrote:
Roy Schestowitz espoused:
Mark Kent on Tuesday :

Most corporate systems were built for IE-only usage, as an
example. Look at Accenture's outsourced HR offerings, say.

I'd estimate that the vast majority of workers in major
corporates are stuck with internal systems which have been
designed for IE and don't work well, if at all, with anything
else.  Part of the problem is that there is no simple business
case to make the change, whereas for general consumer stuff, the
case is very strong indeed.

I hear that about 8% of the people in Brazil use GNU/Linux and
that's even /before/ they deploy it in /all/ the schools.

Found an hour ago:

"For, example, according to this report, there are now 12 million
users in Brazil, representing fully 25% of the entire office market
there. "

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1369&blogid=14

Good for them, really. As we get more and more graduates with Linux skills and expectations appearing on the job market, then I think
that things will have to change in companies.

I agree. Apple's increasing market share is also beneficial to Linux. It makes people out there realise there are alternatives, and they need to prepare themselves to be able to write software for these clients also.

Best thing about Linux is the application development tools and diagnostics are free. It is only a free download or inexpensive DVD purchase away.

Here is something disturbing, which I am sure companies involved with financial security, law enforcement, competing market would be concerned about:

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2007/09/13.14.shtml

[quote] XP/Vista Stealth Updated by Microsoft Without User Consent
by John Martellaro, 4:15 PM EDT, September 13th, 2007

This week, some Windows users have noted that, even though they had the Auto-update option turned off, Microsoft accessed their system and made modifications, according to Windows Secrets on Thursday.

"It's surprising that these files can be changed without the user's knowledge. The Automatic Updates dialog box in the Control Panel can be set to prevent updates from being installed automatically. However, with Microsoft's latest stealth move, updates to the WU executables seem to be installed regardless of the settings — without notifying users," Scott Dunn reported. [/quote]

No one likes to have their privacy potentially violated.

--
HPT
Quando omni flunkus moritati