[News] Publishers Embrace the Web, Open Source

Truth about textbooks | Open-source books provide digital deals

,----[ Quote ]
| But Allen and other activists say that to rein in prices in the long run, the
| industry must embrace the growing open-book movement.
|
| Open-source books are available online and are often openly licensed. This
| lets individuals use, edit and print them without expressed permission.
| Writers may also receive profit for their work.
|
| Proponents say open books will enable high quality, low-cost options to enter
| the market, making books more affordable and putting competitive pressure on
| publishers to lower their prices.
`----

http://media.www.dailypennsylvanian.com/media/storage/paper882/news/2008/09/05/News/Truth.About.Textbooks.OpenSource.Books.Provide.Digital.Deals-3416905.shtml

Alchemist Author Pirates His Own Books

,----[ Quote ]
| Paulo Coelho, the best-selling author of “The Alchemist”, is using BitTorrent
| and other filesharing networks as a way to promote his books. His publishers
| weren’t too keen on giving away free copies of his books, so he’s taken
| matters into his own hands.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/alchemist-author-pirates-own-books-080124/

Best-Selling Author Turns Piracy into Profit

,----[ Quote ]
| “Since the dawn of time, human beings have felt the need to share - from food
| to art. Sharing is part of the human condition. A person who does not share
| is not only selfish, but bitter and alone,” Coelho told TorrentFreak,
| explaining why he decided to share his books for free.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/best-selling-author-turns-piracy-into-profit-080512/

Michael Moore plans Net-only film premiere

,----[ Quote ]
| Moore's camp said no consideration was ever given to a theatrical release for
| the film, which cost about $2 million to make, perhaps forfeiting a nice
| profit at the box office. His last two documentaries, Sicko and Fahrenheit
| 9/11 are two of the three highest grossing documentaries ever released.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10033561-93.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Recent:

Has YouTube Just Been Saved?

,----[ Quote ]
| But something miraculous has happened: several leading media companies seem
| to have accepted that posting their material online actually helps them – as
| many of us have been pointing out for some time – because it acts as free
| advertising and drives users to buy non-infringing content:
|
| 'In the last few months, CBS, Universal Music, Lionsgate, Electronic Arts and
| other companies have stopped prodding YouTube to remove unauthorized clips of
| their movies, music videos and other content and started selling advertising
| against them.'
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1159&blogid=14

88% of YouTube is New and Original Content, Professor Says

,----[ Quote ]