Re: [News] Apple Accused of "Piracy"

On 2009-04-28 00:39:11 -0600, Peter Köhlmann <peter-koehlmann@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:

Preston wrote:

On 2009-04-27 15:56:41 -0600, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

Apple found guilty of willful patent infringement

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/925/1051925/apple-guilty-
wilful-patent-infringement

Honestly,

this has to be the shabbiest journalism I've ever read.  With regards
to the judgement, there was prior art, aside from the obviousness of
the technology.  A dumb verdict overall that rewards a company which
does nothing else but patent litigation.

Wrong on several counts.

Opti is everything but a "company which does nothing else but patent
litigation". They are the guys who developed the famous opti-chipset which
were present in most 486-class computers.
They developed the snooping to speed up PCI-bus transfer speeds.
They developed the LPC (low pin count) interface which is for example used
to connect TPM modules (which apple uses, btw).

So, before you out yourself as clueless apple fanboi, just take a closer
look instead of the typical "apple can't do no wrong" idiocy

Back in reality, the following comes from http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2004/10/20/opti_sues_nvidia/:

"The company said it expects to generate future revenue from 'royalties or from the licensing of the Company's intellectual property' and, crucially, by 'pursuing license revenues from companies we believe are infringing Opti's patents'.

In May 2004, Opti's stock was delisted from Nasdaq on the grounds that such a scheme 'did not constitute active business operations'."

Opti's business model is based on patent litigation. This verdict was due to a clueless jury rewarding a company suing based on software patents, which negatively affects everyone in the industry, not just Apple.

I know you think the world "fanboi" is a real zinger, but the facts prove me right.