Re: [News] Value of Microsoft Skills Takes a Deep Dive

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Study: IT skills pay drops slightly overall in Q1
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Prosoft Master CIW Administrator pay dropped the most of all certified
> | skills in the first quarter, falling 25%, as did Microsoft Certified
> | Systems Engineer+Internet. Microsoft Certified IT professional (-20%),
> | Novell/Certified Internet Professional (-20%) and Novell Certified
> | Instructor (-16.7%) rounded out the top five highest drops.
> `----

A chap I know from the local Linux User Group, who works at a ISP helldesk,
recently lost his job when the ISP was sold, and the new owner had all the
Windows helpdesk guys they needed.

As he is a pretty decent Linux admin because he uses Linux at home and
studies it at work between windows helldesk work, I referred him to a Local
WiFi ISP who uses Linux, but has no experienced Linux admin.

So he's now working at the new ISP, he's now in the Linux only job he has
wanted for some time, and very happy.

I live in one of the highest unemployment areas in Australia, as it's remote
and rural, so this chap owes his new employment *totally* to his Linux
skills.

If he hadn't been so keen learning Linux the last 5 years, he would probably
be unemployed for at least the next three years if he stayed in this town,
as that's the old pre recession average between jobs.

Learn Linux and develop decent admin skills, and your employability and
earning power goes UP.

Stick with Windows, and you're just another nameless face in the crowd.

indeed listen to.  Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
          Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008