[News] New Portable Media Player Runs Linux (Android)

Android-based PMP to ship in October

,----[ Quote ]
| GiiNii will ship its Android-based portable media player (PMP) and digital
| picture frame (DPF) in October and January, respectively, according to a
| spokesperson. The Movit Mini portable and larger Movit Maxx DPF include
| touchscreens, WiFi, a webcam, and optional Bluetooth, says the company.

2008's top three PMPs

,----[ Quote ]
| It's taken a long time for anyone to successfully combine a good video player
| and a good internet tablet, but Archos has cracked it. Solid as a rock, and
| with superb video playback and a decent web browser - Opera - all plonked on
| top of a stable Linux OS with a faultless GUI. Better than the iPod Touch? We
| think so by dint of its larger and higher resolution screen and much higher
| storage capacity. If a 5in screen is too small, go for the 5's big brother,
| the 7.

Archos 605 WiFi Linux hack

,----[ Quote ]
| Personally, I think the Archos 605 WiFi is a cool enough gadget on its own,
| but there's always something to be said for hacking a gadget just to explore
| the possibilities.

The Linux-based Archos 604

,----[ Quote ]
| Geeks.com sent us in one of their consumer electronics, the Linux-based
| Archos 604 PMP for a whirl, and we surely gave it one. This 30 GB PMP is the
| fourth generation video product from Archos, one of the biggest names in that
| market.

Archos über wireless movie player rides in

,----[ Quote ]
| French media-player maker Archos has begun selling what it claims is
| the only handheld video player with a 7in display and wireless
| connectivity, all for just $550 (£286/420 Euro).

Archos 705 "Mobile DVR" with WiFi unveiled, thanks FCC

,----[ Quote ]