Re: [News] List of High-end Multimedia Applications for GNU/Linux

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
After takin' a swig o' grog, Matt belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

Ex-MS security guru to dump Media Center for Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Veteran Microsoft security expert, Jesper Johansson, says he may dump | Microsoft's Windows Media Center in favour of Ubuntu-affiliated LinuxMCE | after struggling with Redmond's DRM (Digital Rights Management) software. `----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Ex-MS-security-guru-dumps-Media-Center-for-Linux/0,130061733,339282399,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/34as9b
Okay, so this expert has switched from the pricey WMC to LinuxMCE, preferring the Linux-only app to the cross-platform options.

But the most important choices here are those of developers who would work on a media-center apps and those who would contribute in other ways (especially monetarily). Most contributors want their stuff to be used, and they reach fifty times as many users with a cross-platform app as they do with a Linux-only app.

You're missing the big point, Matt -- it's a platform thing in and of
itself.

What good is a cross-platform application running on a crippled platform?

For one thing it acts as a bridge between OSes, permitting migrations away from Windows. You see it mentioned in most major Linux migrations. By the way, migrations away from Linux are almost unknown. And find me one where the emigrant says, "Oh, yes, I felt so trapped on Linux---but with these cross-platform apps I found I was able to finally migrate to Windows, which is really the better OS."