[News] GNU/Linux Gains Virtualisation Independence with KVM

Red Hat Announces Broad ISV Ecosystem is Virtualization-Ready

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat, Inc. (NYSE:RHT), the world’s leading provider of open source
| solutions, today announced its virtualization agenda and roadmap for 2009,
| including confirmation that its broad ecosystem of applications tested and
| certified to run on Red Hat Enterprise Linux are certified to run in a Red
| Hat virtualized platform with no modifications. Red Hat offers a broad
| ecosystem of certified applications, enabling expanded flexibility and choice
| for customers.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20090223005784&newsLang=en

Red Hat Targets VMware, Microsoft With Virtualization Line

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat Monday introduced an entire line of virtualization software aimed at
| disrupting the current market and leader VMware's position by giving
| customers an open-source option for virtualizing their data centers.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/160023/red_hat_targets_vmware_microsoft_with_virtualization_line.html?tk=rss_news

Red Hat cranks virtualization power play

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat is a player in operating systems and middleware, and it wants to be a
| player in server virtualization - at least more of a player than it has been
| since it parked the Xen hypervisor inside its Enterprise Linux 5 distro back
| in March 2007.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/23/redhat_revs_kvm_up/

Red Hat Lays Out Its Virtualization Play

http://www.internetnews.com/software/article.php/3806136/Red+Hat+Lays+Out+Its+Virtualization+Play.htm

Red Hat announces its virtualization plan

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=3404

Red Hat deal: when will we know more?

,----[ Quote ]
| Said Tridgell: "I certainly have no objection in principle to
| interoperability agreements, and I am pleased that Red Hat have gone to the
| trouble of pointing out that the agreement does not contain any of the patent
| components that are so problematic with the Novell agreement."
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/23417/1148/

Red Hat makes KVM its Linux virtualization of choice

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite Red Hat’s surprising announcement last week that it would be
| partnering with Microsoft on virtualization, on February 23rd, Red Hat’s
| announced that it would be switching its virtualization strategy from a mix
| of virtualization programs, including the Microsoft-friendly Xen, to focusing
| on Linux’s baked-in KVM (Kernel-based Virtual Machine)
|
| KVM, as Red Hat CTO Brian Stevens admitted during a press call, is still a
| work in progress. But, Stevens assured the audience, by working with IBM and
| Intel, Red Hat will be able to deliver its full Red Hat Virtualization
| portfolio within the next 12-months. The first fruits of this switch will
| appear in RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) 5.4, which is due out in August
| 2009.
`----

http://practical-tech.com/infrastructure/red-hat-makes-kvm-its-linux-virtualization-of-choice/

Recent:

KVM virtualisation in Red Hat Linux next year

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat will be in a position to offer Kernel Virtual Machine (KVM), the open
| source virtualisation it garnered with the acquisition of Qumranet, in the
| first half of 2009.
|
| Asked by CBR when Red Hat will be able to offer the KVM technology as part of
| Red Hat Enterprise Linux, the firm’s president and CEO Jim Whitehurst said it
| is “highly likely” that it would be during calendar 2009 but would not be
| drawn further.
`----

http://opensource.cbronline.com/news/kvm_virtualisation_in_red_hat_linux_next_year_021208

Related: