[News] GParted, CDlinux, Trixbox, RIPLinuX, Parted Magic, paldo, Arch, and DragonFly Released

  • Subject: [News] GParted, CDlinux, Trixbox, RIPLinuX, Parted Magic, paldo, Arch, and DragonFly Released
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 01:11:17 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Linux releases distros more often than Microsoft delivers "critical" security
patches, which is a frequent occurrence.

GParted 0.4.3-1

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

CDlinux 0.9.1

http://www.cdlinux.info/

[Trixbox] 2.6.2.2 released

,----[ Quote ]
| I just released 2.6.2.2. This is a rollup release we a bunch of bug fixes and
| the latest version of all our packages. All trixbox users are recommended to
| upgrade to this release. Especially 2.6.x.x users.
|
| This release resolved the problems with the package manager not working and
| some PSTN cards causing kernel panics when the system is rebooted. There are
| also a number of small GUI fixes and enhancements. I also added support for
| some of the new Realtek netwrok chipsets that are not supported by CentOS 5.2
`----

http://www.trixbox.org/devblog/2622-released

RIPLinuX 7.6

http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux/rip/

Parted Magic 3.6

http://partedmagic.com/

paldo 1.17 released

,----[ Quote ]
| We are pleased to announce the release of paldo 1.17 with many bug fixes and
| updates.
|
| Enhancements to point out:
|
|     * GNOME 2.24.3
|     * OpenOffice.org 3.0.1
|     * Firefox 3.0.6
|     * Linux 2.6.28.5
|     * X.org server 1.5.3
`----

http://www.paldo.org/

[Arch] 2009.02 ISO Release Update

,----[ Quote ]
| The original archlinux-2009.02-ftp-i686.img USB image was broken, a new image
| (archlinux-2009.02-2-ftp-i686.img) has been uploaded. We are sorry for any
| inconvenience this may have caused you.
|
| With one image broken, we also had to create new torrents: We now use a
| single torrent per file again and added more mirrors to the webseeds. All
| seeders should stop seeding the old torrent and get the new ones.
`----

http://www.archlinux.org/news/435/

Arch Linux 2009.02 Has EXT4 Support

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's another Linux distribution that adopts the EXT4 filesystem, Arch Linux
| 2009-02, announced last night (February 16th) by Aaron Griffin. Arch Linux is
| a bleeding-edge independently developed Linux distribution. This is the first
| release of Arch Linux for 2009 and it brings some of the latest and greatest
| Linux technologies available today, such as Linux kernel 2.6.28 and support
| for the evolutionary EXT4 filesystem. The latter was also added in the
| installer, which means that every Arch Linux user will be able to easily
| create EXT4 partitions.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Arch-Linux-2009-02-Has-EXT4-Support-104699.shtml

paldo 2009-01

 ,----[ Quote ]
| A little earlier than originally planned, we now have the pleasure to
| announce the availability of sidux 2009-01 "Ουρανός", shipping with kernel
| 2.6.28.6-rc1 and available in the following flavours:
|
|     * KDE-lite, amd64, en/ de, ≈465 MB.
|     * KDE-lite, i686, en/ de, ≈450 MB.
|     * KDE-full, amd64+i686, en/ de (da, el, es, fr, hr, it, ja, nl, pt,
|     pt_BR, ro, ru through liveapt) ≈2 GB.
|     * XFCE, amd64, en/ de, ≈400 MB.
|     * XFCE, i686, en/ de, ≈395 MB.
`----

http://sidux.com/Article485.html

DragonFly Release 2.2 - 17 February 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| The DragonFly 2.2 release is here! The HAMMER filesystem is considered
| production-ready in this release; It was first released in July 2008. The 2.2
| release represents major stability improvements across the board, new
| drivers, much better pkgsrc support and integration, and a brand new release
| infrastructure with multiple target options.
|
| Three release options are now available: Our bare-bones CD ISO, a DVD ISO
| which includes a fully operational X environment, and a bare-bones bootable
| USB disk-key image (less than 512M).
`----

http://www.dragonflybsd.org/release22/

Recent:

Torvalds rejects one-size-fits-all Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/246534/torvalds-rejects-onesizefitsall-linux.html