Re: [Rival] More Layoffs Hit Microsoft

After takin' a swig o' grog, Rex Ballard belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

> The One Laptop Per Child project was more successful that people ever
> imagined, lowering the costs of components and creating a machine that
> could function with minimal memory and storage.
>
> <le sníp>
>
> Personally, my favorite "Real Time Environment" was FORTH.  It's
> almost a lost art because FORTH programmers are so rare - because it
> takes very little time to go from concept to pilot to production with
> few if any surprises.  The only down-side is that FORTH doesn't scale
> up well.  It's create for a PDA, a Microwave oven, or even a remote
> control for your television, but it isn't so great for use as a Web
> Server or relational database.
>
> Many of the concepts of FORTH live on in the Java JVM.

It's also the boot loader (Open Firmware) for the OLPC XO.

I finally got my USB stick to start booting on the XO -- I had
"root=/dev/sda1" in olpc.fth (a Forth script), but "root=sda1".

However, now the kernel can't find the firmware file for the USB,
chicken-and-egg type thing.  It's acting a lot like the vanilla Debian
boot USB I made, so maybe I can kill two birds with one stone on this
one.

--
I just thought of something funny...your mother.
		-- Cheech Marin