The WIPE and REINSTALL EVERYTHING upgrade path from XP to Windows 7, ... SPLORF!!

  • Subject: The WIPE and REINSTALL EVERYTHING upgrade path from XP to Windows 7, ... SPLORF!!
  • From: Terry Porter <linux-2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 09:10:51 +1100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

One of the benefits of GNU/Linux compared to Windows is the easy upgrade
path.

I can see that the XP to Windows 7 'upgrade' is going to be the biggest
FUBAR since the win98 fiasco, with many Windows users losing all their
data.

ie:-
"I downloaded and installed the free MS SyncToy, and backed up my data, then
I installed Windows 7, but my data is all GONE!! Microsoft don't care, and
won't take any responsibility, or even answer my emails etc etc"

The problem is that MS has mislead the punters into thinking they're all IT
gurus because Windows is so *easy*. The flood of Windows forum posts with
problems after Windows 7 is released, will probably equal Nimbda or Code
red in Internet stalling volume.

If you're considering wiping everything, and upgrading your XP, why not just
go straight to Linux and avoid the window pane (TM) ?

Join the winning team, and get your Free GNU/Linux/Ubuntu LIVE CD at :-
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

begin{quote}
First, wipe your hard drive...

By Kelly Fiveash

Posted in Software & Security, 5th February 2009 13:32 GMT

The road to Windows 7 for Vista-shy customers who want to jump straight from
XP to the upcoming operating system won be an easy one.

Microsoft confirmed yesterday that Windows XP fans would be able to purchase
a licence and media to pgradeto the new OS once it lands.

But this being Redmond there is a caveat: XP customers have to perform a
clean install of Windows 7. This means wiping their computer hard drive
data first, which doesn sound much like an upgrade to us.

Unsurprisingly, the transition from Vista to Windows 7 will be much more
straightforward because customers will get an n-place upgradeof the OS that
should mean their data and programs will remain intact.

"I can confirm that customers will be able to purchase upgrade media and an
upgrade license to move from Windows XP to Windows 7 - however, they will
need to do a clean installation of Windows 7", a Microsoft flack confirmed
to The Register.

This requires the user to back up their data, install Windows 7, re-install
the programs and restore their data. For PCs running Windows Vista
customers have the option of an in-place upgrade of Windows 7 keeping their
data and programs intact or to perform a clean install of Windows 7.
Microsoft is remaining quiet on how much lighter an XP customer wallet will
be following the pgrade but Windows plebs can presumably expect a cheaper
price tag than if they simply walked into a store and bought the OS off the
shelf.

The software giant revealed earlier this week that Windows 7 will come in
six different flavours: Windows 7 Starter Edition, Home Basic, Premium,
Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate.

Many are predicting the OS will rock up at some point in 2009, but MS has
declined to offer a date when it thinks Windows 7 will ship. ®
end{quote}

indeed listen to.  Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
          Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008