Re: What does Donald Knuth and Microsoft have in common?

Verily I say unto thee, that Greg Cox spake thusly:

> This should probably be no big surprise given that Bill's mother was
> a high mucky- muck in the local United Way org.

Care to translate that into English?

Never mind, I'll translate it myself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Way_of_America#Criticism_and_scandals

There's something about the name "United Way of America" that makes me
think of a neo-fascist front for corporate interests, or am I'm just
being cynical? Perhaps Mary Gates' position as a director on the board
of the First Interstate Bank of Washington, and various other
corporations, is the source of my cynicism ... and probably the source
of quite a few other things too.

Yes, "charities" can be very useful, especially if one knows how to
capitalise on them properly. Take this man, for example, he certainly
knows a thing or two about "charities":

http://www.prwatch.org/node/8168

It also reminds me of another equally sinister organisation, which
ostensibly works to achieve "social cooperation through better
leadership", but which more accurately seeks political "unification" (in
the fascist sense) through elitist control (a la Bilderberg):

http://www.bbc5.tv/news/story/common-purpose-lecture-brian-gerrish

> That's certainly good.

Good for some, certainly.

> However, I'm not sure just how enthusiastic Microsoft would have been
> with the matching donations if there wasn't the law that allowed
> Microsoft to deduct the matching donations from their income tax...

Yes, in addition to bribery, Microsoft also have a long and well
documented history of tax evasion:

http://www.billparish.com/20000418spotmsft.html
http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2006/07/10/microsoft-does-tax-avoidance-in-secret/
http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2008/05/04/microsoft-tax-avoider/
http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/03/31/microsoft_india_tax_ruling/
http://boycottnovell.com/2008/11/16/microsoft-tax-evasion-roundup/

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It
|  is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." ~ William
|  Pitt the Younger

 17:25:10 up 89 days,  1:08,  4 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.04, 0.01