Re: What does Donald Knuth and Microsoft have in common?

____/ Homer on Sunday 01 February 2009 19:29 : \____

> [sniff] I smell freshly cut astroturf.
>
> Verily I say unto thee, that Greg Cox spake thusly:
>> In article <et9f56-3hc.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx>, usenet@xxxxxxxxxx says...
>>> http://www.gnu.org/thankgnus/2008supporters.html
>>>
>>> Entries 9 and 27 of the "Sustaining Contributors", respectively.
>>>
>>> "Linux is a cancer" ~ Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO.
>>>
>>> Hypocrite.
>>
>> This isn't what you think it is.
>
> Which part?
>
> The part where Microsoft's CEO calls Linux a "cancer", or the part where
> Microsoft then donates money to help spread that "cancer"?

Microsoft gave 4-5 orders of magnitude more money to SCO ;-)

>> The Microsoft Giving Campaign is an annual charity drive at
>> Microsoft.  Microsoft employees are encouraged to give a donation to
>> any legally registered charity/non-profit and Microsoft will match
>> the amount given (up to some maximum amount per year).
>
> And naturally this is entirely out of Microsoft's control, and they have
> no say in the matter whatsoever (honest), just like Gates has no say
> whatsoever in which companies his fundation[sic] invests in?

Watch Comes. BillG has a mouthful about Linux, which he fears and hates.
Freedom makes him vomit.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-gatesx07jan07,0,6827615.story?page=1
> http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c546eaf6-a26a-11db-a187-0000779e2340.html
>
> Microsoft's problem with research seems endemic, as apparently they were
> also "too busy" to find any documented evidence that "Linux infringes
> 235 Microsoft patents":
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/24/microsoft_novell_patents/
>
> But then this is only to be expected from a company that can't even find
> its own E-mails:
>
> http://www.technologyevangelist.com/2007/02/microsoft_dirty_tric_4.html
>
> Yes, these pesky logistical problems are all very "inconvenient" for the
> Vole, I'm sure.
>
>> So what you're actually seeing is...
>
> ...a Microsoft astroturfer in action.
>
> Yes Greg, we know.

...What you did last summer... or for 18 years... at Microsoft.

Comes goes back to the late 80s where you can see sheer crime.

Did Greg participate? Did he just Peasant.TakeOrder() ?

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    /earth: file system full
Tasks: 140 total,   1 running, 139 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie