Re: Please name a cross-platform FOSS app that is failing

Rainer Weikusat wrote:
Matt <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Could you please stop crossposting this drivel to
comp.os.linux.development.apps?

I could stop cross-posting.

But I am trying to answer an important question, and I want to get it in front of people who are likely to know the answer. Can you help?

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
After takin' a swig o' grog, Matt belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

Please find for me a FOSS project that:

* does not have a Windows-only FOSS equivalent
* is made to run equally on Windows, Mac OS, and Linux desktops
* is not growing
Why?

Well now why do you think a cross-platform advocate might ask it?

I think that a MS-advocate, as you quite obviously are,

obvious to someone who is wrong

asks such
questions in order to again deliver one of his boilerplate speeches.

[...]

Okay, I got a little sloppy in stating my question.

Along the lines I intended, let's try this:  Show me a Linux-only app
that is growing better or being used more _on Linux_ than an
equivalent cross-platform app is growing or being used _on Linux_.

Show me a popular cross-platform app which is being used 'on Linux'
(whatever that is supposed to mean)

I didn't know that it was somehow ambiguous.

which wasn't originally ported to
Windows in order to supplant the native offerings with popular, free
(here solely refering to money) alternatives.

Why would a Linux user care where the app is started, as long as it works well on Linux? It might hurt the feelings of a Linux-only developer though, to see his Linux-only app being supplanted by a cross-platform app, which seems to happen every time a cross-platform app gets started.

It will help eliminate the increasingly-rare delusion that there is
some kind of benefit to Microsoft in building a cross-platform app
instead of a Linux-only app.

"It will help to eliminate the delusion that platform-vendors need ISV
 support in order to sell their platforms to customers"?

 WTF?

 F'up2 adjusted.

It seems that you are asking for one of my boilerplate speeches. But back to the point:

Is there some Linux-only app that is thriving better on Linux than an equivalent cross-platform app?