Re: [News] Sun Improves Java Mobile Platform, Google Offers Desktop Mobility

Homer wrote:
> Lusotec wrote:
>> Remote access is nice and a must for many scenarios but just imagine
>> accessing your 10TB at 2MB/s or worse *all the time*. That would be
>> ... not nice!
>
> That's Google's flawed scenario, which I agree is totally impractical.
>
> My biggest concern would be that my private data, however large or
> small, was being stored on a server subject to arbitrary search and
> seizure by the US government, without probably cause, warrant, or even
> so much as an explanation:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Security_Letter
>
> No thanks. I'll just keep my private data at /home/, if it's all the same.

Yes, security is my main concern also. All data can be encrypted making
things difficult (I hope) for spooks but being in a "far away" server, out
of your control, allow for attacks to be  attempted without you being aware
of it (e.g. disks disappearing, hacking attempts, disk light flashing).

At the moment GDrive and the likes only have disadvantages.

Regards.