[News] [Rival] Red Hat Celebrates Victories, Hires Mandriva Guru

A Backup Offering That's Good Enough for Cisco

,----[ Quote ]
| When Bill Yu, an engineer for Cisco's (NASDAQ: CSCO) development and test lab
| in Boulder, Colo., was looking for a new a backup solution, he stumbled upon
| R1Soft at last year's Red Hat Summit (NYSE: RHT) in Boston.
|
| The lab had been using an Amanda server to do tapeless backups for four
| years, but ran into performance and scalability issues with the open source
| offering. "When I heard the pitch about fast backups, it sounded like the
| solution for us," said Yu, who also liked R1Soft's "pretty intuitive"
| Web-based interface.
`----

http://www.dedicatedserverdir.com/news/showNews.aspx?ID=30638

Acxiom® Standardizes Its Grid Computing Environment on Red Hat Solutions

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat (NYSE: RHT), the world’s leading provider of open source solutions,
| today announced that Acxiom®Corporation (NASDAQ: ACXM), a global leader in
| interactive marketing services, has selected Red Hat Enterprise Linux as the
| standard operating system for its high-performance, cost-saving grid
| processing environment.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20090127005077&newsLang=en
http://tinyurl.com/bw8fg6

Job announcement

,----[ Quote ]
| So, now I’ve checked I’m allowed to announce it. I’m happy to say that, from
| February 2nd, I’ll be working for Red Hat, as a Senior Quality Assurance
| Engineer (sadly, I can’t have ‘monkey’ in my job title any more). I’ll be
| working under Jay Turner in the QE department. Initially I’m going to be
| working on a new community QA system they’re developing. If I’m not
| misremembering entirely from my interview last month and horribly butchering
| the concept, it’s basically a system for automated submission and testing of
| fixes by external contributors. I’m going to be helping to build a developer
| community around the system. It sounds like a really fun area to work on, and
| I’m really grateful to the folks at Red Hat for taking me on.
`----

http://www.happyassassin.net/2009/01/23/job-announcement/

Recent:

Red Hat Fedora Claims It's the Leader in Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat's Fedora community Linux distribution has now tallied its user base,
| and it's a number that on the surface would make it the largest installed
| base of any Linux distribution, with at least 9.5 million users and possibly
| as many as 10.5 million.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3786726/Red+Hat+Fedora+Claims+Its+the+Leader+in+Linux.htm

Red Hat bucks the trend