Congratulations to Apple OS/X

  • Subject: Congratulations to Apple OS/X
  • From: Rex Ballard <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 14:17:24 -0800 (PST)
  • Complaints-to: groups-abuse@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Apple just reported their numbers and the commentators at CNBC pointed
out that they blew the top off estimates, primarily because their Mac
sales were off the charts.  Furthermore, they were making huge profit
margins and selling the Mac at much higher prices than other PCs.

Meanwhile, HP and Dell are losing their shirts in the PC market.  Even
their Mac Look-alikes, powered by Vista seemed to be about as popular
as a turd in a punch bowl.

Could it be that OS/X has show that *nix can blow away Microsoft?

If I were a major stock-holder in HPQ or DELL, I'd be pretty upset if
Dell and HP didn't come up with a Linux based system that was on
display at the retailer shelves.  As a Retailer - I'd probably stop
ordering "Vista-Only" machines completely, look what happened to
CompUSA and Circuit City.

Ballmer just doesn't have that same black magic that Gates had.  Gates
could lie through his teeth, and you'd believe it was gospel truth.
Ballmer was more like a used car salesman, and he even did a "Crazy
Eddie" style commercial for Windows 1.0 that really shows - in 20/20
hindsight, what a horrid mess of "hype" he was selling.  That
commercial was in 1985, Windows wasn't practical until 1992, when
Windows 3.1 was released.  Even then Windows 3.1 crashed about 5-8
times per day.

XP doesn't crash, it just hangs, freezes, and individual applications
crash.  Which is much nicer than when the entire system crashes.
Appearantly it helps if you reboot it every two days.