Re: Microsoft Chief: "We feel a huge threat from Linux."

____/ Matt on Wednesday 21 January 2009 10:23 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> ____/ Matt on Tuesday 20 January 2009 17:33 : \____

>>>              ^^^
>>>
>>> Read: BSD
>>
>> Yes, I went through all 50 pages and the error was there. The
>> assistant/typist may have blown it. Maybe Allchin said it wrongly.. which is
>> unlikely.
>

> Yes, it seems to be the stenographer being unfamiliar with the technical
> terms.  The doc also refers to "Redhead" instead of "Red Hat".

I noticed that. It even repeats itself.... there's "Sequel" too (SQL).

Check out their security horror stories...

What can we do — what’s the number one problem with Microsoft that you have?

    MR. MARTIN: Security.

    MR. ALLCHIN; Okay. Tell me about it.

    MR. MARTIN: Just last week we were attacked from China. They were
attempting to do a buffer overflow with closed Messenger — Messenger server.

[...]

    MR. MARTIN: Actually, from France Telco and from China. And like I said,
there’s nothing we can do to -every time we try to — we got the FBI involved,
but our hands are tied

    MR. ALLCHIN: We’ve been there.

    MR. MARTIN: I’m sure you guys are experiencing the same thing.

    MR. ALLCHIN: And there’s no one home when you go to call.

    MR. MARTIN: Yeah.

    MR. ALLCHIN: And the FBI, although they will do certain things, it’s a hard
problem.

[...]

    Last week I was at a seminar and I was speaking — I was talking with a
gentleman from Cisco who mentioned to me that recently there was an attack in
Japan on their 911 system through the cell phones, through wireless

    devices. That a virus had actually infected wireless devices; in turn, all
at the same time they called 911 in Japan. And so security’s becoming much,
much more important, not lust on
    operating systems and on applications, you know, desk tops, but also now on
wireless devices as well. And I think that that’s something that our customers
ask about. We’re working wlth
    Microsoft technology. Of course, all the heat, press lately about Microsoft
and the security packages -

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

"One person in Helsinki can quickly write the core of a sophisticated operating
system."
                --John Warden, lead attorney Microsoft