Re: So... anyone want to actually talk about Linux? Advocate it, maybe?

Tim Smith wrote:
In article <eVwal.4464$PH1.1567@edtnps82>,
 Megabyte <megabyte.NoSpam@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
direct contrast with that of open source. Apple and MS deserve bad press at times and Roy is simply reporting on what others have written elsewhere in his news posts.

Except that far more often than one should find in a "news" report, Roy's quotes in his stories are out of context, and if you go read the original story, you find that it actually supports the opposite position from the one Roy is using it for.

If you've got enough spare time to actually fact check his stories so as to extract actual useful information from them, cool. (But with less effort you could just subscribe to a couple Linux news RSS feeds, and get all the actual news Roy reports, without having a bunch of deceptive items to weed out). (I'm assuming you actually *want* accurate information--although that is not a given on COLA).

I follow many of the links and read the full stories and haven't found that to be the general case. I have noticed a rare subject line that is a stretch but not the vast majority of them. I don't read every [News] post completely because some don't interest me. That is why I like the quotes he takes directly from an article because I can then select the ones that interest me and investigate them further. Many of the articles and posts are written by people that prefer Linux but this is after all a Linux Advocacy group and that should be expected. Google is also a good friend when one is trying to determine if the information from the original author is accurate or not.

I already monitor numerous RSS feeds including some on Linux but Roy seems to pull from a lot larger number so there are things I learn from his [News] postings that I wouldn't learn otherwise. He always provides a link to the article and although a few haven't brought up the article referenced, most do.

I really don't understand the objections to the news posts as they can be easily filtered if you don't care for them. Unlike many of the other threads which at times start with bizarre claims and end in name calling these have information that you can then easily go to the source and read for yourself. Roy clearly has a bias towards Linux but he is posting in a Linux Advocacy group and would admit he has.