[News] Ubuntu Extends DistroWatch Lead, Mint Joins It

DistroWatch Page Hit Ranking statistics in 2007 and 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| The star distribution of 2008 was undoubtedly Linux Mint, a project which has
| been successful in enhancing a standard Ubuntu and GNOME with a variety of
| user-friendly tools and features. Other operating systems rising noticeably
| in the ranking were Dreamlinux, Puppy Linux, FreeBSD, gOS and PC-BSD. On the
| other hand, severals distributions have fallen over the past year, most
| noticeably Freespire, KNOPPIX, Zenwalk Linux, Gentoo Linux and MEPIS Linux.
| Overall though, it's the same old story - the Ubuntu, openSUSE and Fedora
| pages continue getting most hits year after year, with only an
| occasional "outsider" upsetting the dominant trio.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090105

Recent:

Review: Linux Mint 6

,----[ Quote ]
| I'd give Linux Mint 6 a big thumbs up. There were a few things that annoyed
| me about it, but those are minor and easy to disable if you're willing to do
| a little tweaking. But out of the box it's quite nice. I've been repeatedly
| impressed with the Linux Mint developers before, and I'm still impressed with
| them.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=505

Linux Mint 6

,----[ Quote ]
| The number of Mint-specific additions in this release is impressive. It's
| good to see that the team isn't just focused on slapping on a different coat
| of paint and calling it a day. More offshoot distributions should follow this
| example. Don't just embrace, extend as well!
|
| In the past I've been both impressed and disappointed by Mint because
| although it added several useful out-of-the-box features to a solid Ubuntu
| base, it just wasn't different enough for me to justify using it over its
| parent. This release has a number of substantive differences that if further
| developed will address that issue quite nicely.
`----

http://www.techiemoe.com/tech/linuxmint6.htm

Linux Mint 6 “Felicia” released!

,----[ Quote ]