[News] Money Made -- and Saved with -- GNU/Linux

How on earth do you make a dime out of Linux and open source software?

,----[ Quote ]
| Software piracy is a scourge on the world of computing. Yet it's a problem
| the open source community doesn't have. That makes sense; it's all freely
| available. But this raises the question: if it's free how do the developers
| make any money? And how can it be any damn good?
|
| [...]
|
| Just because you produce or use open source software doesn’t mean you have no
| means of gaining commercial advantage. However, open source software is anti
| lock-in.
|
| It’s a significant difference. An open source software solution will protect
| end users from being stuck with a poor support company or developer. Any
| capable organisation or person or group of people can be hired to take on the
| work.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/22524/1143/

Becoming a Linux user, pitfalls and experiences

,----[ Quote ]
| I've been a Linux user for some years now, and I've decided to start
| documenting the process I went trough.
| Today I might be seen as a Linux guru from the point of view of a starting
| user, from the point of view of a Linux guru I'm probably more seen as a
| starting user. I see myself as an intermediate, but even as my knowledge
| level might not be top level, On this day I do manage a business network, a
| few mail servers and web servers running a few hundred web sites. I do all
| this with relative ease and I could not have known I would be doing so much
| with Linux on the moment I started going down this path.
`----

http://www.theothersolution.nl/blog1.php/2009/01/03/becoming-a-linux-user-pitfalls-and-exper

Recent:

Talking with Pactolus' Ken Osowski