Re: [News] Mac OS X Does Not Look Better Than GNU/Linux

On 2009-06-30, Tim Smith <reply_in_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <slrnh4kp79.8kk.jedi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  JEDIDIAH <jedi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 2009-06-30, Tim Smith <reply_in_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > How so?
>>
>> ...there is a certain point there. OTOH, if you end up turning a Mac into
>> little more than yet another Linux then what's the point really of bothering
>> with MacOS to begin with?
>>
>>     Inferior system management?
>
> Such as?

    No proper package manager. This was addressed in the original article.

    This makes adding stuff simpler and more automated than it is on either
of the other major platforms. No searching the web. No finding a dead end
at the official quicktime extensions site.

    Add automation and you don't even have to "ask" for stuff to be
installed, the system just knows what to do by itself (it's pretty
obvious really).

>>     Inferior driver support?
>
> Do you mean there are specialized devices for which no one has written
> OS X drivers, but have written Linux drivers?  If so, OK.  But if you

    Yes, "specialized" devices.

    You would think I was talking about some SCSI microscope the way you
talk but I'm not.

> mean the kernel doesn't support drivers as well as the Linux kernel,
> then how so?
>

>>     Inferior support for non-Apple/non-MS data?
>
> What data does Linux support under the hood that OS X doesn't?

    Video files other than quicktime.

    Getting broad codec/container support installed into a fresh install
of MacOS is a real eye opener. So is just installing MacOS. That bit about
being locked down to the type/generation of Mac the disk shipped with is
an unecessarily annoying Dell-ism.

>>     Jobs of Borg style datafile management?
>
> Huh?

    Thou shalt not use our handy little applet until your datafiles
are assimilated into our pointless centralized application specific
database.

    Simple tools should be a matter of drag + drop + execute.

--

    MSOffice is completely unremarkable except for the fact          |||
    that it is most compatable with itself.                         / | \