[News] Assessment of Ksplice for Linux: No Reboots/Downtime Anymore

Never reboot again with Linux and Ksplice

,----[ Quote ]
| By default, Ksplice shows up in your system menu-bar so you can keep an eye
| on what's happening with your updates. While Ksplice itself is open-source
| software, and the service for individual users is free, you'll need to pay a
| service fee if you're a business using Ksplice to keep your servers
| up-to-date.
|
| Since Ksplice doesn't require any changes to the Linux kernel I strongly
| suspect you'll soon be seeing its technology used with other Linux
| distributions. After all, as great as Linux is about letting you run for
| months on end without wasting time or money on a reboot, it will be even
| better when we can run Linux for years without rebooting.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/never_reboot_again_with_linux_and_ksplice

Ksplice Executives Share New Ways to Make Linux More Secure, Reliable, and
Maintainable

http://www.ksplice.com/news/20090625-linuxtag-fisl

Recent:

Ksplice Offers Rebootless Updates For Ubuntu Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| Ksplice has started offering Ksplice Uptrack for Ubuntu Jaunty, a free
| service that delivers rebootless versions of all the latest Ubuntu kernel
| security updates. It's currently available for both the 32 and 64-bit generic
| kernel, and they plan to add support for the virtual and server kernels by
| the end of the month, according to their FAQ. This makes Ubuntu the first OS
| that doesn't need to be rebooted for security updates. (We covered Ksplice's
| underlying technology when it was first announced a year ago.)
`----

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/09/06/27/2238255/Ksplice-Offers-Rebootless-Updates-For-Ubuntu-Systems

GRUB 2: the New Boot Loader in Ubuntu 9.10

,----[ Quote ]
| UDS (Ubuntu Developer Summit) for Karmic Koala took place this year, between
| the 25th and 29th of May, in Barcelona, Spain. There were 270 blueprints that
| needed to be discussed during the summit, like the new professional look of
| Plymouth (an application that takes care of the graphical boot animation) for
| Karmic Koala, which will not become reality very soon. However, some of the
| ideas discussed at UDS will be implemented in the next version of the Ubuntu
| operating system, due for release in late October 2009. One of these was
| the "grub2-as-default" discussion, and Colin Watson had the pleasure to
| announce last night that GRUB 2 would definitely be the default boot loader
| in Ubuntu 9.10.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/GRUB-2-The-New-Boot-Loader-in-Ubuntu-9-10-113671.shtml

GRUB2 To Be Used By Default In Ubuntu 9.10

,----[ Quote ]
| Starting with Ubuntu 9.10 (and beginning with tomorrow's daily CD builds),
| GRUB2 will be the default boot-loader on new Ubuntu installations. GRUB2 will
| bring internationalization support, support for newer systems, and many other
| improvements considering this GNU boot-loader has been in development for a
| number of years.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzMxMg

Explaining Ubuntu's 10 Second Boot Time

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical's Scott James Remnant has now outlined more on their plans for the
| Ubuntu boot performance targets with Ubuntu 9.10 and 10.04 LTS. The main
| areas that developers will be working on is speeding up the X Server start-up
| process and improving initramfs.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzMxMw

GRUB 2 Receives New Font Engine