Re: [News] Impact of GNU/Linux and Free Software on Jobs

  • Subject: Re: [News] Impact of GNU/Linux and Free Software on Jobs
  • From: wispygalaxy <wispygalaxy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 15:41:20 -0400
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Save a job with open source
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | My own home county of Buncombe in western North Carolina will be letting
> | about 80 teachers go with the current budget. Like many other government
> | agencies, and businesses, they simply don't have enough money coming in.
> |
> | But, Wollenberg asks, why don't we save money for teachers, by switching
> | to FOSS (free and open-source software), he's not talking about major
> | changes, like switching from Linux to Windows on desktops. He's talking
> | about taking small steps. As Wollenberg points out, it's not so much
> | that the school systems have problems with open source; it's that
> | they're reluctant to adopt anything new.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | For instance, Microsoft has finally given up on Microsoft Money. Intuit,
> | of course, wants all those customers to go over to Quicken. But, should
> | they? Shouldn't they at least consider GnuCash?
> `----
>
> http://blogs.computerworld.com/save_a_job_with_open_source

I've been saying this for so long.  People are uncomfortable with new
things.  They want familiarity because they underestimate their own skills.
They think that they will damage or break something, so they shy away from
new software.  However, education will assure these people that FOSS is
really nothing to be scared of.  I should know- I've been using Windows and
proprietary apps for over a decade before switching over to Linux.  I
wasn't too confident about my computer skills, but I was pleased to find
out that FOSS/Linux was friendly to me!  :)