Re: [News] European Commission Should Prevent Bundling of Windows

On 2009-06-17, Ezekiel <Zeke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> JEDIDIAH wrote:

>>     What gives Microsoft that right?
>>
>>     Ultimately it is the OEM that is on the hook for support. The OEM
>>     should
>> ultimately make the decision. However, that hasn't been happening. That
>> choice was stolen from them by the relevant monopolist.
>

> That's a cute strawman you have there. What makes you think that Microsoft
> has the right to tell OEM's anything because they don't.

    They have in the past. That's what various anti-monopoly actions
initated by various national governments were all about.

> The last time I checked there plenty of OEM's like Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc
> that sell systmes with either Linux and Windows installed. And nobody

     ...after several of the aforementioned lawsuits.

> is "forcing" an OEM to do anything. There are several OEM's that decided to

     Once you've "poisoned the well" there's not as much need anymore as
you've already created the hegemony situation that feeds on itself.
Although that does lead to the obvious question of who installs a different
browser these days.

     Who? You can whine about this all you like but without any good
examples of companies exercising the liberty that you claim to exist,
it's all pretty meaningless.

> avoid Microsoft all together and not even offer or sell Windows machines.
> Places like TuxMachines, EmperorLinux, etc are computer sellers and

     This is a red herring. This is about how Microsoft can abuse it's
own customers and use that to distort the market. Pointing to companies
that are not Microsoft customers really doesn't demonstrate anything.

> Microsoft most certainly has no authority to force them to sell systems a
> certain way.
>
> And since you claim that the OEM is the one on the hook for support - the
> govt coming in and forcing them to sell a "blank" or "bare" computer is
> going to bankrupt them in support costs.

    That's only really a risk if they are as stupid as you are.

>>     Microsoft "poisoned the well" as it were, probably permanently.
>
> From what I can see the only thing that's been poisoned is your judgement.

    Show me the examples of the liberty you claim exists.

> Perhaps you may not like the current situation but it's ridiculous to
> believe that MS has the authority to tell every OEM what they can or can't
> sell. The facts prove otherwise.

    No they don't. Don't try to lie to us. We know better.

--
     If you think that an 80G disk can hold HUNDRENDS of           |||
hours of DV video then you obviously haven't used iMovie either.  / | \