Re: [News] European Commission Should Prevent Bundling of Windows

On 2009-06-17, bbgruff <bbgruff@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ezekiel wrote:
>
>> What gives the EC the right to go to an independent business like a
>> computer OEM and dictate to them how they can or can't sell computers to
>> their customers?

    What gives Microsoft that right?

    Ultimately it is the OEM that is on the hook for support. The OEM should
ultimately make the decision. However, that hasn't been happening. That choice
was stolen from them by the relevant monopolist.

    Microsoft "poisoned the well" as it were, probably permanently.

> Much the same thing as gave the E.U. the right to tell British Telecom that
> while it owned all the lines and exchanges in the U.K., it was in a
> monopoly situation, and must make its lines and space in exchanges
> available (at a fair price) for use by other providers.
> Inside of 10 years, rulings such as these reduced (for example) the cost of
> my trans-Atlantic calls from the equivalent of 1 USD per MINUTE to 1 USD
> per HOUR over a period of a few years, and gave me the choice of over 100
> Broadband providers rather than one.

[deletia]

--
     If you think that an 80G disk can hold HUNDRENDS of           |||
hours of DV video then you obviously haven't used iMovie either.  / | \