Re: [News] Stallman Facts

On 2009-06-16, AZ Nomad <aznomad.3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Silly.  Anybody with an 8th education can install gentoo in three
>>> days, most of the time doing three massive compile jobs, one to make
>>> the base, the next to add X11/desktop, and the last to add
>>> applications.
>
>>Rubbish. The base comes as a stage3 tar file... just untar it and then
>>setup portage and then you update.
> I use stage 3 as well.  And it is out of date and only good for a starting
> place as just about everything in it will have to be updated.  Gcc and Glib
> alone require 3 hours.
> X11 alone takes 4 hours;  kde alone takes 12 hours.
> I like to build my only applications instead of using binaries.  Openoffice
> needs 3 hours.

X11 and kde aren't in stage3.

How about using xfce and koffice instead of openoffice and kde?

>>I can get a gentoo box up in less than 2 days.
>
> I'm happy for you.  Does your amazing speed refute my argument that it is
> false to say that only somebody like Mr. Torvalds can do it in under a week?

I'm sure Linus can do it. You can do it... you *could* do it faster if
you didn't want to go for so much bloat...

12 hours for KDE... keeerist!!! Are you installing the whole kit and
kaboodle?

--
Regards,

Gregory.