Re: [News] Asus Eee Sub-notebooks with GNU/Linux Shipped for $180

____/ Terry Porter on Saturday 28 March 2009 21:47 : \____

> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
>>   this bit o' wisdom:
>>
>>> 4GB of SSD is plenty for a lightweight, wifi enabled Linux netbook,
>>> as is 512MB ram. The LCD is 1024x700 with a Intel video chipset which it
>>> 100% Linux friendly.
>>
>> 1 Gb of SSD and 256 Mb or RAM is quite adequate for the OLPC XO. The LCD
>> is 1200x900 and works pretty well.
>
> I love your XO posts, it's an amazing device by all accounts.
>

>>> Mine is one of my most useful tools.
>>
>> I use my XO mostly for reading and access this server right now.  But it
>> is useful for editing and building code on the rare occasions away from
>> home. It's a bit nicer than lugging around the big DELL lap-roaster
>> <grin>.
>>

> The old laptop roasters are so *yesterday* dude! :)
>
> We have a hacker in our local Linux User Group. I've watched him take *one*
> look at a page projection of code on the screen, and type it all into his
> handheld without looking again.
>
> Scary!
>
> What's his computing device ?
>
> Well he has two, one is a Nokia Linux N800 he keeps in his pocket, but the
> one he types on is a Sony Vaio, an ancient but nice and compact device with
> a 200Mhz P2 CPU, and 128Mb ram running a 2.6 Linux kernel.

Arbitrary question: is it just me, or do people open a file manager less and
less as time goes by? (because of the Web browser)

The way we all use computers is changing a lot over time.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: 85% of plant life in in the oceans
Cpu(s): 22.6%us,  5.0%sy,  0.1%ni, 70.6%id,  1.3%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.4%si,  0.0%st