Re: Why didn't Roy post this "news" item?

After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

> "We have come across a botnet worm spreading around called "psyb0t". It is
> notable because, according to my knowledge, it:
>
> ¡Eis the first botnet worm to target routers and DSL modems"
>
> http://dronebl.org/blog/8
>
> Those routers and DSL modems are running Linux, specifically Open/DD-WRT.

On "mipsel" devices.

> Apparently there's over 100,000 bots in this botnet.

Actually just 80,000 by the author's own reckoning.

   Update 2

   This botnet has apparently been shutdown:

   (IRC quote snipped)

   Update 3 (Disinfection Instructions)

   We have been getting asked a lot about disinfection instructions.

   To disinfect, simply powercycle your device and take appropriate action
   to lock it down, including the latest firmware updates, and using a
   secure password.

> Funny how he talks about Botnets all the time, but when one shows up on
> Linux, he's strangely silent.
>
> Odd.

What's odd is you didn't tag the subject with "[News]".  Especially since it
is an important thing to know about.

--
You're always thinking you're gonna be the one that makes 'em act different.
		-- Woody Allen, "Manhattan"