Re: [News] British Library's Gamble on Microsoft and DRM Backfires Badly

> ____/ Terry Porter on Friday 06 March 2009 23:37 : \____
>
>> Mark Kent wrote:
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

> http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/623/1050623/british-library-fears-loss-history
>>>>

>>> Haha! That's really funny.  The BL went all Microsoft, and suddenly
>>> they're worred about obsolesence?  Amazing.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> It's a lovely day in NSW today, the sun is shining and white whispy clouds
>> float lazily overhead, boyed up in a bright blue sky.
>>
>> But after reading these articles, a dark stygian pall seems to have settled
>> down around me.
>>
>> It's bad enough having Microsoft pollute the world with their toy OS, but to
>> now lock up our academic knowledge is just too much.
>
> When Microsoft had declared its attempt to enter healthcare data management,
> the assumption stated by some is that Microsoft sought bankruptcy protection
> because the data it hoards is too vital (a mortal question).
>
> Microsoft's stock value sank 75% (!!) below its all-time high. Is the BL paying
> attention at all?

Probably, but not too much.  Librarians should stick to books and leave
us engineers to worry about technology, economics, ownership and the
philosophy of worth, value and ideas.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |