[News] Net Neutrality Under Attack in the EU

Telcos throw more wood on EU net neutrality fire

,----[ Quote ]
| Telcos are lobbying hard for discriminatory practices in network management
| to be permited, which threaten the neutrality of the Internet. They are
| opposed by citizens groups who are calling on MEPs to close the loopholes in
| the Telecoms Package Second Reading.
|
| Liberty Global is the latest telco to throw its hat in the anti-net
| neutrality ring, with a statement in support of its colleagues at AT&T and
| Verizon. In a statement to run with its European Parliament seminar today,
| Liberty Global calls for limitations on regulatory intervention in respect
| of ‘network management practices'. The AT&T amendments are about trying to
| stop European regulators taking the kind of action that the FCC was able to
| take in the Comcast case, where a netwwork operator was restricting lawful
| services on the Internet and the FCC told it to stop.
`----

http://www.iptegrity.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=268&Itemid=9

New EU Telecom Rules Face Delay After Talks Break Down

,----[ Quote ]
| At a lunch debate Thursday, Reding described the Czech government's failure
| to secure an agreement as "catastrophic."
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/160773/new_eu_telecom_rules_face_delay_after_talks_break_down.html?tk=rss_news

Recent:

CDT Confident Next FCC Chair Recognizes Importance of Open Internet Policy

,----[ Quote ]
| WASHINGTON -- According to news reports, President-elect Barack Obama will
| soon name Julius Genachowski to head the Federal Communications Commission.
`----

http://www.cdt.org/press/20090112press.php

Kevin Martin Opposes Regulating Internet Content?

,----[ Quote ]
| A significant part of FCC Chairman Kevin Martin's legacy will be the moves he
| made -- and tried to make -- to crack down on indecency while he was in
| power. The FCC went after TV broadcasters with much more vigor than under
| previous leaders, trying to impose big fines for "indecent" content, many of
| which got smacked down later by courts. Martin himself was a major advocate
| of a la carte cable plans, in which consumers could simply pay for individual
| channels, rather than bundles.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090112/0811433374.shtml

WSJ Accuses Google of Abandoning Net Neutrality: Reality Check

,----[ Quote ]
| The Wall Street Journal specifically attacks Google's OpenEdge project as a
| means by which Google can have its own content given bandwidth priority over
| other web sites. Before we go into a terrified panic that Google is
| abandoning Net neutrality for its own nefarious purposes, how about we look
| at what OpenEdge actually does.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/155498/Neutrality.html?tk=rss_news

Indian Court Wants To Ban Google Earth In The Wake Of Mumbai Attacks

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081210/0318383073.shtml