Re: [News] Review: Simply Mepis 8 is Fantastic

7 wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> Simply Mepis 8 is Finally Here
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | In summary, I am extremely pleased with this version of Simply Mepis.
>> | It is rock solid, easy to use and easy to maintain. I must not forget
>> | to give credit to the guys from the MEPISlovers forums who worked
>> | tirelessly producing quality artwork, giving valuable input to Warren.
>> | My hat is off to everyone who had a hand in making this distribution
>> | the excellent product it is.
>> `----
>>
>> http://preacherpen.wordpress.com/2009/02/27
> simply-mepis-8-is-finally-here/
>

> I converted Mepis 8 live CD iso to boot on 1Gb SD Card with syslinux and
> it booted just fine on the Asus EEE. What was fantastic is the boot speed
> and then the general speed of the OS whenever you activated a menu.
>
> Its astonishing that so much can be packed into a smal distro and still
> have great performance.

I did an install to a 16Gb flash drive using the EEE.
During the install, I formatted a 16Gb USB flash to EXT2.
It mounted itself as (hd2,0) or /dev/sdc
Then when it tried to install, it insisted it wanted to format to EXT3.
Thats naughty!
Went back and told it to preseve /home and so it decided it didn't
want to format the drive.
But grub then put in (hd2,0) as its root partition and can't boot.
Doh!

Tried doing it via UUID -

ls -lF /dev/disk/by-uuid

got the UUID and changed root=/dev/sdc1 to root=UUID=34340..(i.e. the UUID)

No luck.

Went in and changed /boot/grub/menu.lst entries for (hd2,0) to (hd0,0) which
is what the grub boot loader sees when CPU boots from USB stick.

And magically it worked.

Grub needs more refinements to use more relative
concepts of drives and names as things can get rapidly shifted
around in an Asus EEE netbook with changes of USB sticks and SD Cards.
Again this is to avoid letting grub miss out on netbooks like the EEE
which allow much more flexibility in the way things are reconfigured
on the fly - and there isn't an optical CD drive to help you out.