Re: [News] The Myth About GNU/Linux and Killer Applications is Busted

  • Subject: Re: [News] The Myth About GNU/Linux and Killer Applications is Busted
  • From: wispygalaxy <wispygalaxy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 16:02:02 -0400
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> 8 Great Linux Apps Worth Bragging About, part 1
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | There is such a wealth of great Free and Open Source software
> | applications it's almost an embarrassment of riches, and we're going to
> | look at 8 of them in this two-part series. Yes, we keep hearing the
> | repetitive klaxon of the tireless FUDwagon: "Linux is no good because
> | everyone needs Adobe Flash and Reader, Photoshop, and Games". I have
> | news for those silly FUDsters: there is a whole galaxy of great software
> | beyond silly old Adobe, Photoshop, and gory fragfest games.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6753/1/

I enjoy Carla Schroder's articles.  They look on the bright side of things
(just like me) and offer great advice to Linux noobs.  It's very
encouraging to see her work, and I agree with her choices of neat apps!

People seriously think that they need to spend money to get the best deal.
Once they wise up and realize that companies are ripping them off, then
maybe they can evaluate the quality of an item without being biased by the
price.

Plus, it's not true that only poor people use OSS apps.  I live in one of
the richest counties in the US and can get what ever I want (but I don't
usually ask since I'd feel bad!)  And I *still* use free OSS software.