[News] MAFIAA Starts Attacking Programmers

Record Labels Continue Their Attack On Spanish File Sharing Programmers

,----[ Quote ]
| We've seen a series of efforts by the big four major record labels to shut
| down file search engines and software in Spain, despite the fact that such
| systems have been ruled legal in the country in the past. In one case, they
| were able to get one guy to cop a guilty plea and get jail time, because he
| couldn't afford to fight the charges.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090520/0119354941.shtml

France Continues Its Campaign To Pass The Worst Internet-Related Laws Around

,----[ Quote ]
| Perhaps it's a race of some sort to see which country can pass the worst laws
| related to the internet possible, and France feels that it's falling behind
| other countries? After approving a "three strikes" law that will kick those
| accused (not convicted) of file sharing off the internet, someone in our
| comments reminded us that France is also looking to implement a file sharing
| tax on ISPs (Google translation) -- even though there's already such a levy
| on storage media.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090519/2005394938.shtml

Recent:

Why the free software community cares about The Pirate Bay

,----[ Quote ]
| We are currently living in a historical moment which will define and shape
| digital rights and information freedom on the internet for generations to
| come. It’s one of those rare moments where the issue is black and white and
| where the two opposing camps can be identified without over-simplifying the
| issue. On one side, there are those fighting for the information revolution’s
| culture of sharing, co-operation and the public commons. On the other side is
| a powerful, industry cartel who would stomp out the commons to salvage
| proprietary information that they can buy and own.
`----

http://news.northxsouth.com/2009/05/16/the-pirate-bay-free-software/

War on Sharing: RIAA moves to block new FSF court brief

| Tenenbaum case, the RIAA is attempting to block our submission to the court,
| saying, "...FSF’s latest brief demonstrates even more strikingly the deep
| animus FSF and its counsel hold for Plaintiffs, their counsel, and the
| recording industry. Such a biased organization cannot properly assist the
| court in providing neutral information and analysis."
`----

http://www.fsf.org/news/riaa-tenenbaum-amicus-revision

RIAA Brief Attacks Free Software Foundation

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/04/21/2041241&from=rss