[News] The 4 Freedoms Makes GNU/Linux an Attractive Choice, Cost Also

Opinion: Ask Not What Linux Can Do for You

,----[ Quote ]
| Thanks to Canonical and its success with popularizing Ubuntu Linux, there has
| been an astonishing influx of new Linux users. This is one of those good
| news -- bad news scenarios; the growth is wonderful, but it also brings a
| growth in user demands, and a carryover of bad habits from the closed,
| proprietary software world. The core values of Free Software, which is not
| the same as Open Source software, are Richard Stallman's famous Four
| Freedoms:
|
|     * The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
|     * The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your needs
|       (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
|     * The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
|       (freedom 2).
|     * The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to
|       the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3). Access to
|       the source code is a precondition for this.
`----

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/columns/article.php/3820866

How to Talk to Your CIO/CTO About Using Linux and Open Source Inside Your
Company

,----[ Quote ]
| So does that make this a prime time to be suggesting new or expanded uses of
| Linux and open source software to your CIO or CTO to update and improve your
| company’s IT systems?
|
| Actually, that’s not a bad idea, according to several industry analysts and
| experts who talked with Linux.com to offer their hints and tips on how to
| broach the subject and make an effective business case for wider Linux use
| even as the economy remains difficult.
|
| [...]
|
| Analyst Donald A. DePalma, president of Common Sense Advisory Inc. in Lowell,
| MA, said today’s tough economic environment gives you another key point in
| talking up open source to your executives.
|
| “In this market, its amazing how things are being turned on their heads,”
| DePalma said. For years, one corporate argument against open source has been
| about the uncertainty of support. But today, as even proprietary vendors are
| being pressured, there are no longer built-in guarantees of long-term support
| for the applications and hardware you are using today, he said.
`----

http://www.linux.com/news/enterprise/biz-enterprise/10672-how-to-talk-to-your-ciocto-about-using-linux-and-open-source-i

Related:

IT Cost Cutting - Efficient Infrastructures and Open Source Software
Alternatives

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.enterpriseitplanet.com/networking/features/article.php/3807551