Re: [News] Sub-notebooks Market is Restored Using Low-cost PCs Running Linux Only

Ezekiel wrote:

> "Chris Ahlstrom" <ahlstromc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out
>>  this bit o' wisdom:

>>> In fact, it ran on MIPS first.  The x86 version was a port.  Cutler
>>> did that on purpose--he knew that x86 would probably be the most
>>> popular, so made sure they developed it first on something else.
>>
>> How did Gates let Cutler get away with that?
>>
>> Also, the Alpha was a port done to help settle a lawsuit with DEC, from
>> whence Cutler fled, IIRC.
>
> That seems to be the general consensus.
>

>> I suspect quite a lot of people would buy a $100 "PC" whether it ran
>> Linux or not.
>>
>> Do you believe that Microsoft has the will and the manpower to do
>> an ARM port?
>
> There's already a version of Windows that runs on ARM. It's not the full
> retail XP but the basics are there and in place.

Why not call it what it really is?
It is Windows CE. A poorly supported bastard version

> If MS wanted to support
> the ARM processor they easily could since it's not like they're starting
> from scratch.

And still have no applications ported for it. So the poor schmucks having
been browbeaten into buying such a machine can hope to play minesweeper.
And not much more
--
You're not my type.  For that matter, you're not even my species