Re: Is Vista7 too FAT for most netbooks ?

After takin' a swig o' grog, Duke Robillard belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

> On Fri, 01 May 2009 09:35:42 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> With Windows 7, Microsoft has chosen to leave the coming sub-$200 market
>> to Linux.
>
> I'm no uSoft-lover, but I sure wouldn't blame them for that.  Where's the
> profit to be made in selling an OS for a $200 computer?  It's kinda like
> Apple declining to enter the low-end hardware market, because the profit
> per machine is too low.

I agree.

However:

   http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html

Cringely: Microsoft of course. They have the deepest of pockets, unlimited
ambition, and they are willing to lose money for years and years just to
make sure that you don't make any money, either. And they are mean, REALLY
mean.

> Not everyone can make money on Walmartian razor-thin margins.

Well, the PC hardware vendors have always been forced to do just that.

> I'm surprised Microsoft can still make money selling an OS for a $500
> computer

What, getting $30-$80 for some copies of bits that they wrote long ago?

I wonder if any hardware vendors who venture out from under Microsoft's
thumb with super-cheap ARM Linux netbooks will be able to increase their
profit margins enough to justify the effort.

That, and not some mythical Linux desktop shortcomings, will determine if
these sub-nets can make a go of it, I feel.

--
A gift of a flower will soon be made to you.