Re: [News] Another Attempt to Ban Competition & Back-up Using New Laws

In article <9ekhl6-cd9.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx>, Homer <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > ____/ Homer on Friday 14 August 2009 23:31 : \____
> >
> >> Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
> >> [...]
> >> *Ten Grand?*
> >
> >> Just to copy a DVD?
> >
> >> Does anyone else see a flaw in this business plan?
> >
> > It might -- just might -- be handy at datacentres with remote
> > physical copies and low bandwidth connections.
>
> I could build a PC from junk parts to do that, for considerably less
> than ten grand.
>
> So where's the other £9,900 going ... the DVD Licensing Authority?

It didn't occur to either of you geniuses to use Google? The Kaleidesape
System is not just a simple DVD copier. It's a complete home DVD and CD
management system. You feed in all your DVDs and CDs, and it rips them
and stores them on an array of disks, automatically cataloging and
managing them, and providing access to them from any room in the house,
subject to controls you can define (such as not allowed adult movies in
the kid's rooms).

Things that are part of the system are one or more of the following:

1. Mini System. Holds 75 DVDs or 825 CDs. Serves one room.

2. 1080p Player. Plays back from a server (such as the Mini System)
   or can play discs.

3. 1080p Mini Player. Similar to above, but does not include a disc
   player.

4. 1U Server. Looks like it has 4 hards disks. Can store 450 DVDs or
   5000 CDs.

5. 3U Server. Looks like it has 14 hard disks. Can store up to 1800
   DVDs or 20000 CDs.

6. Music Player. Plays music from server. 4 independent sets of audio
   outputs, so one Music Player can server four different areas. Has
   a disc drive you can use to import CDs and DVDs.

You two didn't really think they were charging $10k for something that
just copied DVDs, did you?

--
--Tim Smith