[News] Formats-based Routes to Escaping Microsoft's (Already-Struggling) Cash Cow

  • Subject: [News] Formats-based Routes to Escaping Microsoft's (Already-Struggling) Cash Cow
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 16:22:33 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Just Say No to .doc! ODF Converter Now Available for MS Word

,----[ Quote ]
| Now Word users can use ODF, an open XML format for saving files. I think it's
| time for OpenOffice users to refuse to use the proprietary file format
| imposed on us by an office productivity monopoly (which, by the way, is the
| reason that the monopoly has continued) and the willingness of everyone else
| to follow along like sheep
`----

http://kairosnews.org/odf-word-converter

IBM Lotus Symphony 1.3 Review - The office alternative.

,----[ Quote ]
| Additionally, the program is designed on the Open Document file format which
| is versatile and has proven itself to be highly useful to millions of users
| around the world. Just remember to save your files in an alternative format
| if you want to read them on computers with other software installed, even
| though plugins exist.
|
| Overall, if youâre looking for a non-Microsoft option and you donât have a
| huge budget, you should consider trying Lotus Symphony.
`----

http://osrevolution.com/os-software/ibm-lotus-symphony-1-3-review-office-alternative

Recent:

OASIS Open Document Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument) TC

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=office#odf12