Confirmed by Seattle Times: Microsoft Uses AsttoTurf ('PR') Firms to Deploy Armies of Shills

  • Subject: Confirmed by Seattle Times: Microsoft Uses AsttoTurf ('PR') Firms to Deploy Armies of Shills
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 11:03:29 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

[From the Seattle Times: "Clients pick an âauthorâ or opt for anonymity.
Visible [Technologies] also has a virtual army â thousands of personas
registered with online forums."]

operations

AS promised in the previous post, today we continue to explore
Microsoftâs âperception managementâ [1, 2]. In short, perception management is
associated with PR techniques of managing brands not just by pushing out
marketing messages but also by tracking (spying on) sources of negativity and
attempting to shoot/shut them down. We too have had visits from
Microsoft âTechnology Evangelistsâ who â without any disclosure â attempted to
annul criticism of products like Vista 7 by mocking the message and the
messenger [1, 2, 3]. It is no secret that Microsoft is gagging critics; being
more or less a PR-reliant company, itâs only to be expected.

Today we take a look at a firm called âVisible Technologiesâ. Its front page
shows Microsoft as a client. âMicrosoft, GM, Hormel, Panasonic are their top
customers,â writes Ryan. They even earned a Gartner award, which may only tie
them to the same Microsoft interests [1, 2, 3, 4] if anything at all. But it
goes deeper than this.

âIâve got some kind of Microsoft PR firm following me now,â writes
Ryan. âTrucastâ or âTruPulseâ is perhaps the culprit. âTheyâre monitoring my
blog,â he argues. âI got a referral hit from them to my post about Windows
Media Center DRMing cable television. I followed it back to some kind of login
page, but I got to looking around the site and it says they do âbrand
managementâ, customers include Microsoft, and their tag is âTheyâre talking
about you, listen, measure, and participateâ; not sure I like the sound of
this. [...] My guess is that their web crawler probably flagged that post and
a human was checking up on it. http://pulse.trucast.net/Listen/54 was the
referral link. [It] doesnât even mention the company that owns it. I had to
google âTruPulseâ to be led back to Visible Technologies.â They should really
be called âInvisible Technologiesâ for being so obscure, even secretive.

According to Visible Technologies, âTruCast channels the right conversations to
the right subject matter experts who can quickly and easily participate in the
dialogue.â

It seems like yet another Microsoft-hired PR agency that has spying
methodologies as âproductsâ. One of Waggener Edstromâs (Microsoftâs PR
Department) latest such products is a tool for spying on people in Twitter.
Yes, they are monitoring blogs and Twits and they constantly develop software
to do the spying more effectively. Based on their own promotional videos, they
scan the Web, then check the profiles/messages of people to see if they can be
manipulated. They also keep dossiers on people. As Neighborlee put it, âthey
can fire as many watchdogs as they wishâitâs about staying power at the end of
the day.â

If one takes a closer look at the Web site of Visible Technologies, it soon
emerges that there are more Microsoft connections. According to the
site, âMicrosoft Distinguished Engineer, Bill Baker Joins Visible Technologies
as CTO.â Yes, thatâs him. The reference page says that âBill spent twelve
years at Microsoft, where he directed the companyâs SQL Server Business
Intelligence Unit and was general manager of Business Intelligence
applications for the Microsoft Office Business Platform.â

Business intelligence.

Got it? They mine data, which can be useful for tracking blogs and doing
intelligence. As Microsoftâs evangelism instructionals [PDF] put
it: âGathering intelligence on enemy activities is critical to the success of
the Slog.â

Ryan argues that it âlooks like some sockpuppet organization, run by proxy for
Microsoft.â This argument seems like a big stretch, but then again, ACT also
disguises itself using names of other companies.

Looking at the companyâs board, Ryan argues that âmost of them look like they
were snapped up from small companies Iâve never heard of in Washington state.â
See Rowland Hanson, for example. âRowland is CEO of The HMC Company and
Chairman of CRH & Associates. Prior to consulting, he was Vice President of
Corporate Communications at Microsoft, where he created and executed the
companyâs highly acclaimed branding strategy which included the market
introduction of Microsoftâs most popular productâa graphical interface that he
named âWindows.ââ

âOne of them is from Square Enix and also worked for the Chinese government,â
remarks Ryan. That would be Michelle Goldberg, who is also with the
Microsoft-loaded Ignition Partners. She used to work as an independent
consultant at Microsoft, but the Visible Technologies Web site does not say
this. There are other examples. Ryan brings up âDavid J. Moore, founder of
24/7 real Media, an advertising stat tracker. [...] Lance Maerov, some kind of
dotcom bubble millionaire that blew a bunch of venture capital and ran off
with the money. These are some really bad people.â

For those who wish to see if Visible Technologies and its tracker (TruCast)
drops in for a visit, pulse.trucast.net is 63.232.55.135, trucast.net is
64.70.9.4, and visibletechnologies.com is 64.14.68.51. âThey have some low
latency servers too. Looks like theyâre set up to survive some hate traffic.
Theyâre registered with GoDaddy, netblock owner is Qwest,â adds Ryan. âTheyâre
using Windows Server 2008 R2. Thatâs not even released yet, except on MSDN.â

Going a little too closely (although itâs public knowledge), Ryan
persists. â[Address is] Visible Technologies, 401 2nd Avenue S, Suite 101,
Seattle, 98104, United States [...] looks like they have a suite in some
leased out office building [...] Google Street View is a little off, but it
has a picture of the block theyâre on [...] looks like an older stone
building, the entrance says âCourt in the Squareâ. Down the street (to the
south) thereâs a building that says âQwest Fieldâ [...] building is owned by
Commercial Properties International. they have office space for rent, and the
phone number is 622-1010. Thereâs a coffee shop in the northeast corner of
their building called Zeitgeist Coffee. Well, whatever they have there is just
a medium size office building [...] doesnât look like youâd set up a long term
company there [...] looks like it may be the kind of company where they can
pack up the office today and not exist tomorrow,â concludes Ryan.

Speaking of perception management, another reader brought to our attention this
old gem:

    Microsoft Asks Slashdot To Remove Readersâ Posts

    Our friends at Microsoft are upset about some of the readersâ comments
attached to the story, Kerberos, PACs And Microsoftâs Dirty Tricks (posted on
May 2), and would like us to remove those comments from Slashdot. We are not
happy about this, to say the least. But instead of reflexively going into rant
mode, we are calmly posting the full text of the e-mail we got from Microsoft,
along with our initial response to it, so that you can see what news and
community Web sites like Slashdot are up against now that the DMCA has become
law. We are talking to our lawyers, of course, but we would also like your
suggestions on how we should handle this situation.