[News] [Rival] Server 2008/Vista/Vista 7 Code a Disaster, Still

FYI: Not so funny Microsoft bug that hosed our company's product because
a "function randomly returns incorrect results".

,----[ Quote ]
| This applies to Server 2008 and Vista. The bug is in any API call to compare
| unicode strings. Just so you understand an example of the hilarity that
| ensued: "because of this problem, Exchange Server 2007 may stop responding or
| may encounter index corruption." Hunting down this bug required epic QA
| analysis, since the bug only happens "When the mapped section that has the
| incorrect DACL settings is accessed by lots of threads at the same time".
| Lots of threads? Really, Microsoft? One of the work-arounds was to disable
| all but one processor. The bug caused one of our customers to get different
| business reports depending on whether anyone had started up MS Paint during
| the data analysis.
`----

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/9btf7/fyi_not_so_funny_microsoft_bug_that_hosed_our/

Related:

Microsoft warns of web server flaw

,----[ Quote ]
| The company has issued an advisory on the vulnerability, which affects
| Windows XP Professional SP2, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista and Windows
| Server 2008.
|
| [...]
|
| "The web server is widely used on the internet, and is a top pick by
| web-hosting providers. We might see web-hosting providers targeted, and their
| clients' websites breached."
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2214722/microsoft-warns-web-server

Microsoft Investigating LocalSystem Access Bug

,----[ Quote ]
| Users on a given system can elevate their access privileges to LocalSystem in
| Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008, Sisk
| explained in an e-mail. It could cause havoc by giving an authenticated user
| inappropriate write, delete, and change privileges. Â
`----

http://www.thejournal.com/articles/22480

Critical patches coming for Vista, Server 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| This month's Patch Tuesday fixes will include critical fixes for Microsoft's
| flagship operating systems, the company has warned.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/17473/1054/

The meaning of Microsoft Server 2008

,----[ Quote ]